Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend came over today and we open the hive to take a peek. the cluster had moved to the side of the hive and starved to death. had some brood started to. man that sucks. at least i got a 30 drawn frames 16 with honey a few with pollen to start with this spring

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm really sorry about your loss. I lost my only hive this winter too. It's a very very sad feeling when they are your only bees.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It happened to me last winter. Very depressing. But now you can give a new package a head start on that comb.

G

·
a friend came over today and we open the hive to take a peek. the cluster had moved to the side of the hive and starved to death. had some brood started to. man that sucks. at least i got a 30 drawn frames 16 with honey a few with pollen to start with this spring
Why did they starve is the first thing you might address, to prevent the odds of it happening again.:scratch:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I lost one of my four hives also i discovered on saturday. Mine also starved out. i was my weakest colony. i also had about 1/2 of my strongest colony starve out i think. i hope the queen is still with the alive half. i was using the mountain camp method on both hives and both still had sugar but they had eaten the sugar laying directly on the frames and what was left was a holllow dome. i knew i should have checked them a few weeks ago but i got busy. I sure am glad that i split my 2 packages last year and built to four. if i was starting over again i would order a minimum of four packages starting out if i could afford it. or 2 at the very least.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this was the strongest hive i had. maby to strong, the pres of our bee club eas here he looked it all over and said there were a ton of bees in there, more than he has seen in any of his clusters. he said it looked like thay just moved up the side of the hive instead of the center. no disease though that is a good thing. I had a hive i started for a friend about a month later that he dosent want to take care of so i claimed it. i went to it tonight and it is still in the 2nd super moving up just like textbook. i added a super full of honey from my dead out just to be on the safe side. at least i might have a hive to do a split from come spring.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no wrap but protected on 2 sides from wind. thay were in a deep and 2 med. i never opened the hive since last fall

·
Registered
98 Posts
It would be interesting to know what you did to your hive. Such as did you feed them, if so, what did you feed them, when, did you use any treatments, etc..

It'd be good to keep this information for failed hives to see if any coorelation can be made.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the bright side is you have all those drawn frames to attract free swarms. one or two per trap, a little lemon grass oil, a dash of luck- you can turn this into an entire bee yard! good luck,mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts