Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvested my first batch of honey today in Bartlett, Illinois. It went pretty much as expected. Placed a bee escape on the hive this morning before the bees were flying too much. Pulled the super off about 4 hours later. There were a few stragglers that I brushed off so no problems. Uncapped the frames with a serrated bread knife. It worked very well....I'm glad I didn't purchase the electric heated knife. Spun the frames in my new birthday present....a new plastic, two frame extractor from Blue Sky Bees. Strained everything through a paint strainer in a 5 gallon bucket....got almost 40 pounds. The honey is DELICIOUS!!! It’s much lighter in color than I expected. I was afraid it was going to be runny, since it has been so humid here lately, but it was perfect. I put the super back on the hive wet....thanks to some of the advice obtained on this site. Tomorrow I think I will put the extractor and pans and such in the yard for the bees to clean up. I plan on placing them about 100 feet away and am hoping that does not encourage any robbing. Next week I will be extracting one of the supers on my second hive.

I think everyone in my family knows what they are getting for Christmas this year. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good job. :applause: I did the same thing this weekend. My first extractor harvest. I ended up renting a big 9 frame hand crank one from my bee supplier. It was nice to get them all done at one time. I do like the idea of going with a small plastic one. I'm not planning on having more than 2 hives so this would be a good size (and price!). Is this the one you got? http://blueskybeesupply.com/plastic_honey_extractor.html

If it is, this one says that it'll extract 2 deep frames. Did you extract deep frames or super frames? Just wondering if you can put different size frames in it.

I had some friends that are interested in keeping bees come over and help. It was pretty cool being the one that knew the most about a particular topic! :D

Yeah, my friends/family will be getting a lot of honey next holiday season as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is the extractor I have. I also have two hives and I think it works great for what I need. It seems to be constructed well and it will take any size frame. I harvested medium size frames, but shallows and deeps will fit too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, I also live in bartlett, Illinois and plan on doing my first harvest Friday. What a small world! If you would like to stop by and help. I am off of W. Bartlett Road. Would sure love to chat.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Congrats on the harvest! :applause: So gonna do Christmas in July or sit on those precious bottles til December? I did my first of this year last week.

C2

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really didn't plan on having any honey this year. I started with 2 two pound packages in the spring and was told not to get my hopes up too high. Now I just harvested my first medium super and have three additional medium supers ready to harvest. That will still leave the bees about 1/2 super for each hive right now with a decent fall flow coming up....or so I've been told. These are great problems to have I guess.

khaas15, I would love to help with your harvest, but this weekend is shot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, it has been a very good year from what I hear. I started with an established hive and had them swarm. I re-introduced a queen and now have two supers capped and one 30% capped. From what I hear we should get a good goldenrod flow.

I understand about the weekend being shot.... We should touch base in the fall then when we are ready to harvest again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, small world. Lombard here. I'm cheap labor and can look at my schedule to see if anybody needs help. I've never harvested honey before so I have a lot to learn. If anybody in Dupage County needs an assist, ping me.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats jslo722

Did similar recently. The bees cleaned up the replaced wet medium super in one day; they removed any honey and rebuilt each cell. I then put the super over a bee escape so that I can remove it for winter storage? I still have two supers being worked under the bee escape.

I'd appreciate any advise. Last year I went into the winter with two deep boxes and a styrofoam top feeder in place, and the hive wintered well. Currently the brood boxes are full of bees and the extreme frames (#1 & #10 in each box) are full of capped honey, so I think the brood chamber is well along.

My question is how best to prepare the hive for the winter at this point; we're just starting to see goldenrod in our neighborhood. Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrats on your honey harvest. It is a wonderful feeling to get you first batch and of course it is the best honey in the world!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts