Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My First Harvest

2647 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Fred Bee
Harvested my first batch of honey today in Bartlett, Illinois. It went pretty much as expected. Placed a bee escape on the hive this morning before the bees were flying too much. Pulled the super off about 4 hours later. There were a few stragglers that I brushed off so no problems. Uncapped the frames with a serrated bread knife. It worked very well....I'm glad I didn't purchase the electric heated knife. Spun the frames in my new birthday present....a new plastic, two frame extractor from Blue Sky Bees. Strained everything through a paint strainer in a 5 gallon bucket....got almost 40 pounds. The honey is DELICIOUS!!! It’s much lighter in color than I expected. I was afraid it was going to be runny, since it has been so humid here lately, but it was perfect. I put the super back on the hive wet....thanks to some of the advice obtained on this site. Tomorrow I think I will put the extractor and pans and such in the yard for the bees to clean up. I plan on placing them about 100 feet away and am hoping that does not encourage any robbing. Next week I will be extracting one of the supers on my second hive.

I think everyone in my family knows what they are getting for Christmas this year. :D
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Good job. :applause: I did the same thing this weekend. My first extractor harvest. I ended up renting a big 9 frame hand crank one from my bee supplier. It was nice to get them all done at one time. I do like the idea of going with a small plastic one. I'm not planning on having more than 2 hives so this would be a good size (and price!). Is this the one you got? http://blueskybeesupply.com/plastic_honey_extractor.html

If it is, this one says that it'll extract 2 deep frames. Did you extract deep frames or super frames? Just wondering if you can put different size frames in it.

I had some friends that are interested in keeping bees come over and help. It was pretty cool being the one that knew the most about a particular topic! :D

Yeah, my friends/family will be getting a lot of honey next holiday season as well.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is the extractor I have. I also have two hives and I think it works great for what I need. It seems to be constructed well and it will take any size frame. I harvested medium size frames, but shallows and deeps will fit too.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really didn't plan on having any honey this year. I started with 2 two pound packages in the spring and was told not to get my hopes up too high. Now I just harvested my first medium super and have three additional medium supers ready to harvest. That will still leave the bees about 1/2 super for each hive right now with a decent fall flow coming up....or so I've been told. These are great problems to have I guess.

khaas15, I would love to help with your harvest, but this weekend is shot.

· Registered
219 Posts
Yes, it has been a very good year from what I hear. I started with an established hive and had them swarm. I re-introduced a queen and now have two supers capped and one 30% capped. From what I hear we should get a good goldenrod flow.

I understand about the weekend being shot.... We should touch base in the fall then when we are ready to harvest again.

· Registered
144 Posts
Wow, small world. Lombard here. I'm cheap labor and can look at my schedule to see if anybody needs help. I've never harvested honey before so I have a lot to learn. If anybody in Dupage County needs an assist, ping me.

Congratulations!

· Registered
143 Posts
Congrats jslo722

Did similar recently. The bees cleaned up the replaced wet medium super in one day; they removed any honey and rebuilt each cell. I then put the super over a bee escape so that I can remove it for winter storage? I still have two supers being worked under the bee escape.

I'd appreciate any advise. Last year I went into the winter with two deep boxes and a styrofoam top feeder in place, and the hive wintered well. Currently the brood boxes are full of bees and the extreme frames (#1 & #10 in each box) are full of capped honey, so I think the brood chamber is well along.

My question is how best to prepare the hive for the winter at this point; we're just starting to see goldenrod in our neighborhood. Thanks. Paul

· Registered
674 Posts
Congrats on your honey harvest. It is a wonderful feeling to get you first batch and of course it is the best honey in the world!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.