Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my first harvest from the hive and have read through a lot of old post to this site, they have been helpful. However, I still have a few questions you may be able to help with.

1) When using an escape board, is it possible to place two supers on top of it at the same time or should I just place it under one super, wait until the bees are gone and do the next super?

2) If I use bee-go and a fumeboard, about how much should I put on the fumeboard? Is it possible to get the bad smell in my honey?

3) I want to store the fumeboard back in my garage. How long will the fumeboard stink?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have not used Bee-go, but I have used Honey Robber (Cherry scented vomit). My supers smelled like cherry scented vomit until after I had extracted and stored them for the winter. The honey was fine. I have never used Honey Robber again.

It is in a bottle and the bottle is in another bottle in a shed that I have. After two years, on a hot day, I can still smell it. If anyone lives near me and wants it, it is yours. I won't use it again.

The fume board still (after two years) has the Honey Robber smell. I can't imagine putting that back in my garage.

Last year I used Bee Quick. It smells nice. While it probably doesn't work as fast, it does the job. Since I am not commercial and speed isn't critical, that's what I am using. If I can't use that at some point I am using a bee brush.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Back in the day I used Bee Go....left the bottle and the fume board outside...forever. You can do up to two but keep a close eye on them if you are in SHB country.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also will harvest honey for the first time. Do you take the supers off the brood boxes before you put on fume board? To bad I already bought bee go, But i have not put any on my new fume board yet.

What happens to the hive when you take away all that space of 1 or 2 honey supers the bees have been used to having?

There are so many bees my two deep brood boxes are slammed full and 1 honey super is full of bees. Where are they going to go?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did my first harvest also. Bee Go fume board goes on the supers with the inner cover removed. Leave about a one inch space at the back of the super. Leave it on for 3-6 mins. or until the bees have gone down into the hive, then remove the super. I returned the wet supers back to the hive hoping for two more weeks of flow here in northern IL.
I extracted 5 gallons from 15 frames....one had some brood so it went back into the lower super. Not bad for two 3# packages installed 5/5.
What a hoot!!!
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
What happens to the hive when you take away all that space of 1 or 2 honey supers the bees have been used to having?
Some times they will swarm :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dwest, is there any way to get the stink out of the fume board when you are done using it? Also, what's the reason for the 1" space?

I am going to try not to use the fume board if I can. I have three supers on the hive and I will try to use a bee escape over several days. I plan to do one super at a time, pulling capped frams and leaving uncapped frames to put back on the hive if I have enough to make a full super.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
With three supers I would use the "shake and brush" method. Get an empty box and set it off to one side in an upside down telescoping cover or some other surface. First use some smoke to start the bees heading down, remove a frame and shake the bees off. Use a bee brush to remove the stragglers and put the frame in the empty box with a sheet or towel over it to keep robbers out.

That 's how I harvested honey for the first 15 years. You will have crawling bees, so watch your pants legs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honeyman, This hive is packed. 2 deeps and 1 honey super full. Thought I should put on another super to give more room. When I remove the supers is there anything I can do to keep them from swarming or can I just leave one of the supers on all winter?
This is only july and in my area I have a tremendous golden rod bloom that is going to take place late August. I have been told to take off supers and let bees have the golden rod for winter.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have always kind of been surprised when I take off three medium supers which seem stuffed with bees and they all fit in with the bees in my two deep brood boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
khaas15
I am no expert here, however my mentor explained the circular flow of the air in the hive caused by the bees fanning and said the gap did at least two things : 1) gave more air volume to the air flow (like a turbo,I guess) which move the Bee go more quickly and 2) provided the bees on the top bars a quick escape route. For whatever reason it worked as I only had the stubborn nurses from the frame with brood come in to my extraction room. Gotta admire their dedication.
Oh and I got rid of the fume board smell by giving it back to my mentor.:D
Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
beedeetee, thanks, I hope all my bees fit in 2 deeps. sleeping on the porch on a cold Oct. MIch morning is no fun! Done it when I was younger! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Years ago I started out with Bee-Go, then a few years back bought some Bee- Quick, used it once, and shelved it. Returned to Bee-Go, much quicker. I use two fume boards. When done, I let them air out outside the shop, then double or triple bag them in dark plastic trash bags before moving them inside. The container of Bee-Go likewise gets double bagged in zip lock bags.

In this day and age of the small hive beetle, I'd not leave supers on the hive above an escape board very long - you just might lose your honey to the little buggers. Same with wax moth.

Every method has its advantages and disadvantages, choose your poison, as they say. :cool:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
143 Posts
With three supers I would use the "shake and brush" method. Get an empty box and set it off to one side in an upside down telescoping cover or some other surface. First use some smoke to start the bees heading down, remove a frame and shake the bees off. Use a bee brush to remove the stragglers and put the frame in the empty box with a sheet or towel over it to keep robbers out.
I used this method today to remove 8 capped frames from two supers. I suited up completely and brushed gently and used a little smoke. The bees remained reasonably calm. I brushed them off the frame resting it on the exposed hive and they scurried back onto the remaining frames. I found it quick, clean and happily stingless. I was able to remove most of the bees at the hive, and removed the few (3-4) stragglers by the extractor. I extracted the frames, and will put them back tomorrow for cleaning and refilling. Honey is settling, and I'll bottle tomorrow morning. Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts