Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got one of the brushy mt grafting thingys with metal bars... i took the bars out to the shop and ground them down a bit on the ends cause they were too long...

i made 26 cells on wed.. Just checked this evening..

and ONE cell was there... the rest didnt take... but hey.. i was excited as it was my first one..

so i took another frame of egg/larvae out and grafted another 25 and put them on another frame rack.. and i popped off the one queen cell i had to put it on the rack with the new batch.. i plan on removing them all and making splits, so i am keeping track of all the ages of each..

however... i was putting them all back in my queenless nuc and the one frame that had the one cell on it slipped out of the rack cause it was a bit too loose and it fell ontop of one of my hives.. it crushed about half of the queen cell... i took a twig and opend the cell back up and the larvae looked happy... so we will check on tuesday...

oh well.... if it works, dont screw with it..
:doh:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and im still a newbie who is working on double queening to make brood for the 10 nucs i have for the 15 splits i wanna make for next month..

and i got my very first hive on may 20th.. bout 70 odd days ago... so this thread is still a beekeeping 101 thread..:D

as peacekeeperapiaries said.. "do it big or go home."

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cool its alot of fun. I will start grafting off my HYG-Italian from glenns late this month. I killed my grafting needle and dadant has me back ordered so I have to wait a bit. But its been to darn hot here to do much anyway. good luck George B

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figured out how the grafting tool works...

I can aim the tip down the side of the cell and the shape of the cell bends the tip so it slides beneath a larvae..

last time i was trying to move one with the tip and trying to get it to stick to the tip..

The first time, I was sitting in the back seat of our van.. the middle seat was folded over for a table, and my wife was holding a bright flashlight... she got cramps being jammed between the front seat and the middle holding a light for me while im being frustrated cause the egg got squished or something..

Tonight i took a frame inside the house and sat at a table... much easier..

why is no one chatting anymore?

d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts