Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did my first extraction on Friday. I must say that it was tons of fun.
I picked up an old extractor after I started my hives for a great price and got the chance to use it.

I took off one of two med. supers off of hive number one and 4 deep frames out of the deep super on hive number two. I will try and do the rest in a few weeks.

Everything worked out better then I thought it would and I must say that I can't wait to do it agian.

Uncapping

Loading the extractor

Greate looking honey

Four gallons later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very cool. I have the barrel portion of that same or similar old extractor that I picked up for a song from craigslist last year. It doesn't have the basket or the crank & gear mechanism and I've been trying to fabricate something workable. Do you have any other pictures? I'd love to see what the internal basket looks like. I can probably figure out a way to motorize it or make a hand crank, but I'd love to see what the internals look like. Thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have and use the same four frame hand crank extractor. Extracted 80 # of honey with it last week. You can find them on ebay, etc. from time to time. Mine was my Dad's and I used to run the crank when I was belt high to him with his stern warning of "keep your other hand in your pocket son." I'm now in my young 70's. In those pre-electronic days mechanical things were built to last.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts