Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total newbie here in Indiana. I installed my first 3 lbs. package last Friday evening (8 frame deep, all with drawn comb.) Weather was a little cool the first couple days and I fed them. They ate pretty good the first half of the week, then slowed down as the weather warmed up. I removed the feeder today. Anyway I pulled the first frame and as expected it had just a couple bees on it. The second frame in had a few more bees and some nectar. 3rd frame in was filled on both side with bees. Had lots of nectar, a little pollen, and larvae in the center. All uncapped. I am assuming the queen must have started laying right away since it has been seven days I can already see larvae. They were white a curled in the shape of a "c". I checked the 4th frame in and it looked the same. Once I got that far I went ahead and closed it back up. I did not see the queen but did not spend a lot of time looking. Once I saw things looked good (at least to my rookie eye) I closed it up as to not disturb things too much. I shot a few puffs of smoke in the entrance and then a few on top before I started and that is all it took. The bees were very docile when I installed them and they were the same today. I am sure once it gets later in the year they will be a little more rowdy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you can get someone to take pictures of your frames while you inspect. You will have an opportunity to look for your queen at leisure. You will also get the chance to see details that you will miss in your rush to get the inspection done before the girls loose patients.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts