Total newbie here in Indiana. I installed my first 3 lbs. package last Friday evening (8 frame deep, all with drawn comb.) Weather was a little cool the first couple days and I fed them. They ate pretty good the first half of the week, then slowed down as the weather warmed up. I removed the feeder today. Anyway I pulled the first frame and as expected it had just a couple bees on it. The second frame in had a few more bees and some nectar. 3rd frame in was filled on both side with bees. Had lots of nectar, a little pollen, and larvae in the center. All uncapped. I am assuming the queen must have started laying right away since it has been seven days I can already see larvae. They were white a curled in the shape of a "c". I checked the 4th frame in and it looked the same. Once I got that far I went ahead and closed it back up. I did not see the queen but did not spend a lot of time looking. Once I saw things looked good (at least to my rookie eye) I closed it up as to not disturb things too much. I shot a few puffs of smoke in the entrance and then a few on top before I started and that is all it took. The bees were very docile when I installed them and they were the same today. I am sure once it gets later in the year they will be a little more rowdy.