Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the call I got said the bees were in a small closed off loft area, so we went even though it was raining like heck. We get there and he shows us about 6 bees next to a 1/4 inch gap in the T&G (entrance). We go inside and unscrew the little door to " where the bees are" again about 6 bees in the corner. Luckily they had a ladder and battery saw, took up a floor board in the loft area (I say loft but it was about 30" high. Then I could see some bees and fired up the vac (robo style), got very few and decided to make another cut, this time I could see a pile of bees. Spent a bit of time vacuuming then started to consider how to get the combs. Time to move outside to the eves and make more cuuts. These were the nicest bees you could imagine, I had gear on as I was in a small spave with the hive, noone else had anything on and were doing things like holding the ladder, and putting brood into frames. Not even 1 sting!!! The bees had been there only a few weeks, all comb pure white, what looked like nice straight combs from the inside, looked like it had melted and sagged in the eve space. Anyway very little brood, a few pounds of honey (not a good honey area) and about 8-10 pounds of bees. This would have never worked without the vac.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Congratulations! Feels good, doesn't it?

I did two cutouts about a week ago, and didn't find much brood in either. First one I had another experienced beek with me, and even tho he looked in the attic, no sign of a brood nest. The other, I soloed, but that time I figured the nest had to be in the next floor joist over. I vac'd up just about all the bees, and didn't see any more coming out of cracks either.

Love the vac. I'm using the Bushkill version since it allows an adjustable amount of boxes for the center. First cutout the other beek & I were vac'ing bees for 3 days with multiple boxes; the last one I got them all in a couple of hours with just one deep.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts