Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't had bees for quite some time but just got a package this week. So I have been reading a lot of the posts here. Since I am an avid herbalist I have wintergreen, thyme oil, tea tree, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and lavander that I use all the time on myself. So I have been sitting here thinking about a pattie, ointment, sugar feed containing perhaps wintergreen, thyme and tea tree combination for varroa mites. Any thoughts for a recipe?

Also, has anyone ever used (and this is stretching it) the same method used in organic gardening to produce a bacillus from the dead bodies of varroa to create a spray of deadly varroa disease. I've done this with tomatoe horn worm, but I know, I know a teaspoon of varroa's would take a while to get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We set up our first hive this spring from a nuc.

I noticed that there are two essential oils in Honey Bee Healthy: Lemon Grass and Spearmint

We've been experimenting adding it to our syrup. The bees have been drinking it up.

Don't know if the oils have been helping, but it sure smells good. (Would make a great soap for those "non bee working" days.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Bunny,
Good to have you on the site. I make my own herbal medicine as well and have ordered the aforementioned spearamint and lemon grass oil to put in feed for the bees. This topic has come up quite frequently so just do a search for honey-b-healthy or essential oils. I am trying to manage my hives organicly and they are doing well so far. Also check out the biological beekeeping forum as well as food grade mineral oil forum. Essential oils may be effective against mites but it will be in conjuction with other regimes such as small cell foundation and screened bottom boards IMHO. Welcome. Theresa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wintergreen is an angesic, spearmint an inhalant, and lemon grass probably a purifier. Thyme oil is an antiseptic and so is tea tree oil. Thymol (is this a crystal form?) is also an equivalant to thyme oil (which both come from thyme) Just as menthol crystals are a mint dirivative..

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
RidgeRunnerBunny . . .

Welcome.

There is a lot of info here about "oils", just click "search" at the top of this page.

>a teaspoon of varroa's would take a while to get

Less than a "summer", just collect them under your screened bottom board. In 2005, from Jan thru Dec, I "collected" more than 25,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts