Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first year having bees in my backyard. I have some bees in the country and they have been fine. I think I'll call city hall tomorrow and see what they can do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Contact your city or county mosquito district. Believe it or not but they will generally let you know ahead of time when they will be spraying within your area. My district control office even offers giving me a buffer area when spraying. Unfortunatly they are unable to give such buffer when areal spraying.

Or club even invited a rep from the dustrict to speak at a club meeting. It was informative for both groups.

·
Registered
51 Posts
10 days ago my wife and I were on a swarm call in town. The swarm was on a small ornamental pear tree in the front yard. We saw the truck coming and tried to wave them off to no avail. They drove by and directly sprayed us, the bees and our equipment. It did kill the bees. Upon request found out they were using Anvil 2+2, a synthetic pyrethroid. back yard may not be so bad but if in range of the fogger it can be disastrous.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know that i have given my County the GPS of my bee yards and they keep a buffer. That also goes for aerial spraying. Most of the time they spray afer sun down here which everyone is back to the hive by then. I did one time catch a Misquote Truck blowing right past the yard. I jump in my truck to catch him and asked if he know about a beekeeper in this area. He replied "Oh yea oppss" :doh: I was like really? Sooo... lets not let that happen again eH?
You spray em you bought them! :D

How hard can it be when the GPS tells you to "Don't Spray Here"....You flip the switch to OFF! :applause:

Good luck!

-Drew-

·
Registered
53 Posts
10 days ago my wife and I were on a swarm call in town. The swarm was on a small ornamental pear tree in the front yard. We saw the truck coming and tried to wave them off to no avail. They drove by and directly sprayed us, the bees and our equipment. It did kill the bees. Upon request found out they were using Anvil 2+2, a synthetic pyrethroid. back yard may not be so bad but if in range of the fogger it can be disastrous.
You got to be kidding! Kinda same thing that happen to me. Florida Agriculture takes the GPS down and says you will be on the "NO Spray List". But its all in the hands off the person driving that truck with the little blinkie light, to do the right thing and turn it off when your suppose too. Especially when people are waving for you to cut it off!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I contacted my local mosquito control office, they asked how many feet off the roadway my hives were, and how many I had. They said they would add me to the list on the map, and would not spray within 300' of my hives, which is a few driveways down total. They were very PRO HONEYBEE and appreciated the call. I also had them add me to the list which currently was non existent for swarm calls. Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts