Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read it a few time and seen it here on the forum.
People saying smoke the bees and they will go down into the frames and give a puff if they start peeking out.

So I finally will just ask... My bees don't go down.
When I smoke them I will leave it a bit and then open up.
Their right there on the frame tops walking about. I give a puff and some scurry down but a lot just stay. The "guard" bees will raise up and paw at the smoke and sometimes jump at the smoker spout.
They just brave bees? :)

Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you over-smoke the hive initially, more smoke will have little effect - they are already smoked out. Smoke lightly to start, then you have a better chance of herding them with the smoker later.

Grid.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The don't all go down, but with cool white smoke 90% should move down a little. If they have brood right to the top of the frames they are less likely to go down also.

Back when I experimented with top entrances they also didn't like to move. I didn't like facing guard bees when I took the top off, so I went back to bottom entrances so that I could work at the "back door". With a little smoke most bees will move down for a few seconds. Long enough to put things back together again.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Don't smoke the entrance. Pop the top and smoke them across the frames not directly down on them. Give it a few seconds and they will move to their stores and off the top. After awhile they will return to the top bars so be ready for that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and make sure the smoke is cool. If need be, stuff some green grass over your fuel to cool the smoke.
Actually I have been worried that might be part of the cause.
It is so hard to keep my smoker lit, I will usually light it up, get a lot of flame and throw the cap on to use the smoke. This would obviously be rather warm.

I think I have found a better fuel now though. Cardboard rolled up (as a book said) seems to go a long time just smoking :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
green, ganja, MJ, Mary Jane, Marijuana......get it now...LOL

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured - but didn't want to say it and offend anyone. I guess it wouldn't have.
To bad, what a shame.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts