Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hello Jim. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your bees. I am still waiting my first package to arrive on 4/16.

Lots of information and helpful folks here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone, Im jim. Im from Michigan.
I have a question if someone can answer . So all my bees died in the hive this winter . There saw a lot of honey for them plus sugar cakes I've put in the hive . But what I see is verrla mites on the bottom board. No a lot but some .and they are under the dead bees that fell off the boards . I've found some bees still in cells after the honey. They all look very heathy. No deformities no mold just dead . Can those mites have killed ALL my bees ? And to start another colony how do I prepare the hive ? Should I scrap all the frames spotless of comb/honey and start fresh or can I just remove all the old bees and mites and let the new colony resume ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly, my sincere condolences got out to you folks who have lost your bee colonies.
I am an artist looking for dead bees for a sculpture project that will bring attention and awareness to the ecological plight of our bees dying off! I will be happy to pay for shipping and also to offer some money for the bees and the help of getting them to me. I am hoping to acquire several thousand bees, so it will take a bunch of folks chipping in to accomplish this task. Please let me know if you would like to contribute to this project.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your losses. I lost two of two hives last fall. All were doing well, then in Sep, onc crashed, the other robbed the first. I had 3 brood hives, and a 10lb sugar block on second. Still all dead this string. Honey and sugar left, I think it was mites. I plan on harvesting what I can, and using the comb. Question ? Now that all has been frozen, there should be no mite problem with using comb?, Second question, how would I extract crystalized honey from combs/ thanks for your time, Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts