Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I'm probably over-reacting.. I've just had some issues starting up this hive, so my anxiety is especially hight, praying these girls do their thing. . .next step... worrying about over-wintering, cross combing, feeding, etc, etc..
How confident are you that you could spot eggs if they were there? They are extremely difficult to see and depending on your angle can be darn near invisible.

I have looked at a comb a couple of times before finally seeing them. It helps (I find) to blow gently onto the comb in the area you're looking. It temporily makes the bees get out of the way so you can get a better look. Then they cover back over shortly after.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well, I've seen them in pictures, so I know how small they are. I was looking for a contrast difference at the very bottom of the cell, so I could have easily missed them. I'm thinking by next weekend, there should at least be some larvae, and those should be easier to see, yeah?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Well, I've seen them in pictures, so I know how small they are. I was looking for a contrast difference at the very bottom of the cell, so I could have easily missed them. I'm thinking by next weekend, there should at least be some larvae, and those should be easier to see, yeah?
yeah definitely, when I first started I couldn't see eggs in new comb to save my life, it will get easier with time and on old dark comb they stick out like a sore thumb.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts