Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Keith Jarrett apply patties on the his hives makes my back hurt. I tried to work bees on pallets but all that lifting was just prohibative. I used a Payne hive loader and set my hives in sets of two. I would put the sets close together so I could sit on one while working on the next. Every hive had cleats on each end flush with the top of the box. This strengthens the most fragile part of the box. Most of all it gives a tipping point for the upper box. You don't need to slide the box forward to tip the box back. With pallets you can't tip back the box anyway. It must be lifted off. That is where pallets and I parted company. When split supering I could lift the top supers off using the loader with the push of a button. I was older and had a bad back when I started keeping bees so I had to work easy. There is no easy way to pull honey but at that time the supers are chest high and not so much bending over. So much for the rambling of a old man but I wanted to share some of the advantages of a hive loader over a forklift. P.S. Great looking bees Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts