Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my second visit tonight.

I found my queens, but could not find any eggs. Queens have been out of their cage for a week. Is it too soon to be concerned I couldn't find any eggs?

And what do you do with the HTF when you take it off and it's covered with bees on the bottom. If there's still syrup, you can't tilt it. I need two hands to hold it steady. How do I get the bees off the bottom so I can set the feeder down without crushing them?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Bimby Jim

"If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos." - E.O. Wilson

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed my 3# pkgs in two hives on 3-27. I have experienced similiar problems with some dead bees under the floats on HTF w/ middle enterance. I have been unable to completely eliminate setting the feeder down w/o killing a few girls. I smoke and try to brush as many off as possible, but still there are a few that don't make it. May be a little early on eggs in wk 2....Are you just feeding sugar water or you able to feed SW on one side and pollen pattie on the other side?? Good Luke w/ your girls.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
give the queen another week. what to do with the hive feeder is one reason i dont use them- i prefer gallon paint cans. simpler,cheeper= better(to me) :) good luck,mike

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet about eggs. Give it a bit. When I used hive top feeders, I rested them on an empty super while I was inspecting.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have a small piece of wood firring strip that I set one end of the top feeder onto. This allows the bees to get out from under the feeder. Mine has a middle access with a screen over it. No floats. So the only way out is down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts