Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm in Texas, where it doesn't always rain, especially when we need it. And typically I do a lot of bee feeding in spring waiting for the flow, then I've got bees swarming because the boxes are crowded.

Now 2020 was a wild year. With Covid hitting, I had pond customers at home saying the pond needed cleaned. And we got rain. Which meant that there was something in bloom for more of the spring than usual.
So before that bloom my 2 big hives and my 2 nuc hives each got a quart jar of syrup, on top, covered by an extra box and lid. The 2 small nucs that I started in 2019 each got an additional jar about a month later.

I treated for mites last fall and once in winter, and I had to go to work so the hives were pretty much on their own. And today I sold one of the nucs.

They had really too many bees to be sold as a 5 frame nuc, I added the surplus frames of bees in a newspaper combine on top of the smaller nuc (the one the big hive robbed out last fall or early spring).
I have never had enough flow to need 2 supers on a hive, and both my large hives, meaning 10 frame deep with a 10 frame medium on top, were one frame from out of room for honey, so I added a box of comb to each today.
We got rain again and I have 17 acres of mesquite in bloom near me. They might fill those boxes. My total sugar investment for the year is less than 50 pounds. I did do pollen sub until the elm came in bloom.

I've popped one very small swarm, they had started putting wax on a branch when I found them. I put it in a nuc last weekend, will check for a queen tomorrow.

The nuc I sold had requeened itself, my marked queen was gone so she could be in that swarm, but the young queen is laying, or appears to be, plenty of uncapped brood too young to be before the swarm I boxed...

All in all I think 2020 has been fortunate for my bees and I. A little less interference on my part (since the weather permitted) might be a good thing..

·
Registered
457 Posts
What do you guys do for Africanized honey bees in Texas? I used to be from Florida and their state BMPs say that you should requeen twice (!!!) per year. to prevent AHB Does your state follow something similar?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What do you guys do for Africanized honey bees in Texas? I used to be from Florida and their state BMPs say that you should requeen twice (!!!) per year. to prevent AHB Does your state follow something similar?
Several years ago there was a very long thread about africanized bees. Maybe it's time for another one.

Best of luck, Gypsi!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There used to be a hot wild hive in my neighbor's house, between first and second floor, and requeening twice a year didn't fix it. So in May 2019 I did the removal for free, moved them over here and requeened. I requeen as needed, my bees are very sweet this year. I no longer do removals which has greatly improved the bee-attitude in my apiary. since I live in the center of prairie and highway, not too many wild hives around to heat my queens up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts