Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost finished the spinning of the 1st crop.
I have two hives in the back garden/yard and I live in the city.
I have spun out 50 Lt of honey so far :D and have about 6 x 3/4 frames left to rob & spin. (Its Autumn here in New Zealand) I had no idea I would get this much out of these hives !

What I am wondering now is....,
1) Should I allow the bees to clean out these emptied frames now or should I store them in the metal cupboard ( too cold for ants here) & wait until winter so as to allow the honey to be a feed for the bees?

2) What do I do with the cappings? Get the bees to clean it all now (about 10Lt plastic bucket of reasonably loose cappings) or wait for winter & feed it to the bees a few litres at a time, to allow it to be used as winter tucker for them as well as to be able to then melt down cleaned wax into 1 or 2 Lt ice cream container blocks.

3) What sort of quantity (volume wise) or weight of honey can one normally expect out a hive ? I've used 2 full sized boxes for brood their stores and the honey supers were/are two 10 framed x 3/4 sized boxes.

Would appreciate your thoughts & suggestions

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Congratulations on your harvest. You must be proud!

I normally give the wet frames back to the bees by putting the boxes over an excluder and letting the bees clean them up. Then, it's off for storage over the winter. The honey gets in the hive right away and I don't have to worry about how to feed them in the cold weather. I squeeze the cappings to get the honey out and then rinse, dry and melt in the wax melter. Cappings wax is nice and light and I save it for my best candles. I'm not familiar with your area so I can't answer your third question but your description sounds about right as far as volume of honey from two hives. It depends on your area, the colony strength, length of flow, comb vs. foundation....a lot of things.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree, 2 illinoise supers are pretty good for hives in suburbia. Congradulations on a good year, good luck on preparing for next year..

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with Ravenseye. Let the bees clean up the remnants of the honey in the supers. They'll take it back down and repack empty cells. They'll put it away for later use in the winter which is what you were going to do with it anyway.

Store you honey supers so that you won't have problems with wax moths. Some great threads in here for ideas on how to do that.

Congratulations. You should be really, really proud of your honey harverst.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts