Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was thinking, "How could I protect my hives from the murder wasp?" I thought, well it looks pretty large, how about making an entrance reducer with a queen excluder on it somehow. Then I thought, wait, could that same device, if created, be used in the spring to prevent swarms?

Thoughts on both uses?

·
Registered
613 Posts
A few problems:

1) The Asian hornets will pick off bees by the hundreds as they fly out of the hive to defend it. No real improvement.
2) Queen excluders below have been tried. They tend to plug up wth drones, and do not reliably prevent swarms as the queen is first slimmed down for swarming.

Greg

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few problems:

1) The Asian wasps will pick off bees by the hundreds as they fly out of the hive to defend it. No real improvement.
2) Queen excluders below have been tried. They tend to plug up wth drones, and do not reliably prevent swarms as the queen is first slimmed down for swarming.

Greg
I thought I was being smart and creative...LOL Thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have read that they fly around catching bees out of the air! But if they get inside the hive they will kill the entire hive.

They are a lot bigger than a drone, so I wonder if a mesh big enough to let a drone out might work to keep them out of the hive. Time to start looking at Japanese beekeeping videos, see if they have any methods.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
242 Posts
I just watched a youtube clip about how the Japanese honey bee deals with the big nasty hornet. They allow the scout hornet to enter the hive and then swarm it. They start vibrating to increase the temperature up to the amount that will kill the hornet but not them. If they kill the scout before they scent mark the bees the rest of they hornets will not attack en mass. I don't know if our European honey bees do the same thing or not.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I just watched a youtube clip about how the Japanese honey bee deals with the big nasty hornet. They allow the scout hornet to enter the hive and then swarm it. They start vibrating to increase the temperature up to the amount that will kill the hornet but not them. If they kill the scout before they scent mark the bees the rest of they hornets will not attack en mass. I don't know if our European honey bees do the same thing or not.
They dont.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So, I was thinking, "How could I protect my hives from the murder wasp?" I thought, well it looks pretty large, how about making an entrance reducer with a queen excluder on it somehow. Then I thought, wait, could that same device, if created, be used in the spring to prevent swarms?

Thoughts on both uses?
looking at the pictures I suspect mouse guards will stop the giant wasps from entering the hive, but I would still strongly prefer they do not get established in the US/Canada

1 - 7 of 7 Posts