Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I am seriously confused. Went down to one of my overwintered hives that had cast at least three swarms over the last two weeks. As I was watching, I observed at least four to five queens going in and out of the hive. I was stunned. What is going on? What will happen? They were ignoring each other and the bees in general were not real interested in them.
Has anyone encountered this kind of situation before? What needs to be done now?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like you have a bunch of virgin queens. It will take them a week or so to harden off and then you'll be collecting small swarms around your yard. Have a bunch of nuc boxes ready and enjoy! It's a good way to get some increases for next year. Just be patient as the queens won't be mated and you won't see eggs for a while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I have a viable queen in there. Can I just take the extra queens which are outside of the hive and put them in a cage? How long can they live unattended?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello there. I'm going to assume that the hive already swarmed. You'll have to check for eggs or the original queen. If the hive has enough frames of brood and bees you could break it up into say 3 nucs each with a virgin, leaving one in the original hive. When you see a lot of bees on the front of the hive they're getting close to swarming. Plan on 2-3 weeks before you see eggs. Good luck 👍

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts