Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
This is the time of year when the only math that works is- hammer them with OAV until you see 1-2 DDC the day after. Migration from mite bombs and drift confuses the issue. Mites are coming from outside the colonies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is the time of year when the only math that works is- hammer them with OAV until you see 1-2 DDC the day after. Migration from mite bombs and drift confuses the issue. Mites are coming from outside the colonies.
Wait - are you saying you hit them daily? I've been keeping at it and after treatment #5 am still getting significant drops... I've been spacing my treatments 5 days apart.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
mgolden "I know my experience with queens is a useful life of about a year." I am only 6 years in but I have a queen in her 4th year ( big hive, 200 lb. honey - maybe she was superceded but I did not notice it). She is the second 4 year old queen I have had. I cannot say I have ever seen a negative effect from repetitive 2 gram OAV treatments on any hive or 1 gram treatments on nucs.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
Wait - are you saying you hit them daily? I've been keeping at it and after treatment #5 am still getting significant drops... I've been spacing my treatments 5 days apart.
No, not daily. I was making the point that mites that come from mite bombs aren’t coming from inside the colony. So you can do a count in August and it can be low, then they rob a failing hive and bring back an infestation in September. That’s why a fall series is so critical. Mine are 4 days apart. Continue until obliterated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As far as starting a fall OAV treatment cycle-I'm three weeks out from a Formic Pro treatment and things in my hives are just getting back to normal. We're in the middle of a strong flow, bees are flying out dawn to dusk, temp in the mid /upper 70's during the day and low 50's at night, goldenrod, aster, all the fall goodies going strong, 4-6 weeks from first frost. I have three mediums super on top of double deeps and they're getting filled. Not seeing any real mite activity or issues with the bees but didn't see any during the early August washes-then I got bombed at the end of August.

I guess I'm looking for an answer when to pull the supers and start a 4 x5 treatment cycle with AOV. Do I wait a few more weeks? Pull the supers and treat now? I read somewhere that you can do AOV with supers taken off and the put back on within 15 minutes when the vapors clear-is that really an option?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had a rather long post on this exact topic, sharing the results of multiple treatments.

Most of my hives responded very well to ~5 treatments. I did a treatment every 3 days until the mite drop was 1-2 after 24 hours. However, I had two rescue hives that ended up taking 13 treatments at the same 3 days apart before I got to my desired mite drop. Mites are constantly going in and out of capped cells so they can easily be missed during high brood production. As these were rescue hives during a flow, OAV probably wasn't the best treatment for them - better reserved for lower brood numbers. However, it was a good experiment and both hives are alive and well to this day.

If I were to do it again, I would have just used Apivar. Yet, a very good lesson on the proper usage of OAV. My other hives get it at the end of fall, and at the start of the dearth in summer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts