Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one hive swarm this spring with one primary and three secondary swarms. I put one swarm in a new hive I just built, one in a top bar nuc and gave the others away. When I looked in the hive after the final secondary swarm it looked pretty bleak. No brood, lots of drones, few bees and the queen cells were empty or ripped apart. I could not locate a queen. To me at that time it looked like the hive had swarmed itself out.

I then decided to combine the vigorous swarm I had in the nuc with the swarmed out hive. Things went well, with no visible signs of fighting at all. I let that hive be for ten days and when I checked it things were looking good. Good building of new comb, old comb being used. I just did an inspection today ( one week after the last one ) and I found two laying queens in separate parts of the hive. I guess the old hive must have raised a queen after all? Each brood chamber is about three bars right now and they are separated by six bars that are all drawn but one. The bees are not fighting at all and seem perfectly content.

I have this hive as a hobby so I don't care about maximizing production. I am wondering if this hive will sort itself out and be fine with two queens, or if I need to do a split to make sure that it stays strong and survives. I have two hives and don't have room for a third, so if I did a split I would just give it away.

If this situation is not harmful for the hive and its long term prospects I would prefer to leave it as it is as I find it interesting. My main concern is that it will get too crowded ( It is a four foot hive ) and it will go swarm crazy. These bees already seem to hive a very strong impulse to swarm.

Thanks for your help and advice!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had something similar to this happen to me but with me combining any hives... In my situation I had a hive that swarmed end up with 2 queens laying in different parts of the hive, they basically had their own brood chambers like you said. They did end up sorting it all out but not as I had expected or as I was told would it would happen. About 3 weeks after I discovered the hive was twice queenright one of them swarmed and really put a hurt on the hive because they pretty much took half of what was left of the bees after the first swarm. Now this certainly isn't the rule, the queens should have fought it out, but just goes to show you can never fully predict what they'll do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you have 12 bars you must have a top bar hive.
if its long enough put a divider and second entrance in and stack supers up

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Its not unusual for mother daughter queens to cohabit for several months before the old girl is kicked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts