Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but there was nothing directly related to what I wanted to know. So this thread is created to fill that search term and hopefully have smart beeks help me with my question!

Is it possible to use more than 2 hive bodies in a hive setup? If so, what are the pros and cons of doing such a thing?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes it is possible, more info as to what you are trying to accomplish would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're planning to run two-queen hives, you'll need more than two hive bodies. Otherwise, two and management seem to work better for me than three. Three work fine during the summer, but three seem to be less successful at surviving winters here than two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no real purpose in mind. I had one hive last year that was booming and due to improper management they swarmed. I was wondering if it's worth it to put another hive body on to help fight swarming/growth.

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rather than have 3 deeps plus supers why not do a split and have 2 hives? This way you have one to compare against the other. Extremely helpful for learning and can be used as a technique to help prevent a swarm.

John

·
Registered
246 Posts
You should also check out checkerboarding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts