Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today being a 90+ degree day, I drove to where I hope to trap out, suck up honeybees one day. WOW!!! it is amazing that one wall of cement block can hold this many hbs.

http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/mbsl55amg/?action=view&current=08092010121.jpg&newest=1

now this would be the catch of all time highs. there is three other hives in the block wall but this was the biggest bearded one today. i could suck all those darlings up and it still would be useless because the queen is inside, right? what if i sucked them up and placed them in a hive that had brood and honey, would they develop a new queen? and would i have to block all exits and keep them in there for what 2 to 3 days? any suggestions will go appreciated, thanks in advance. gonna have to buy a gas generator, sheesh, this is an expensive hobby, psst, don't tell the mrs. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
you could do it as a package setup. once you have the generator, you could suck up all the bees you could get, and put them all in a hive with some brood, give them a day and add a queen, and hope for the best, but you are late starting something like that in MHO. If you have comb to put them on for a boost it would help. How long have they been there?? might wnt to give them eggs and let them raise their queen and move her back close for drone breeding to keep some of the genetics.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just a thought...You can get an AC/DC power inverter to run your bee vac off of your vehicle for about a hundred bucks. Probably a lot cheaper than a gas generator.

Blueline

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just a thought...You can get an AC/DC power inverter to run your bee vac off of your vehicle for about a hundred bucks. Probably a lot cheaper than a gas generator.blueline
I would like to see the design plans on your vac. It looked interesting. What is the inside like.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I bought a 1,000 watt power inverter to run off of my truck from Harbor Freight for $79.00 on sale from 99.00. Goes anywhere my truck goes and does a great job powering my bee vac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts