Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a motivated and passionated beekeeper from Europe. Now I am searching to have a Master Degree in Apiculture. My main interest is genetic improvment of honeybees and instrumental insemination. I would like to suggest me Universities in USA (or Europe) that they have a strong interest in Bees
Thank you,

·
Registered
229 Posts
University of Minnesota, Purdue University, University of Montana, USC Davis, to name just a few.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Will vouch for UC Davis. I dont attend (yet!) but in my search for grad schools, I've looked at them hard & they are well known for being in the top 5 worldwide for just about everything agriculture related. Real good school but I dont know about a degree in apiculture. Worth an email though to discuss options

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You seem to going at this in a odd way - most schools that offer the type of degree you are looking for offer one in Entomology and have someone in the department that is way into Honey bees. You find those people and get them to take you on as a Master's student. I'm not sure where you'd go to study instrumental insemination. For bees in general, not just Honey, look at the University of Maine (Frank Drummond), for Honey bees, try Cornell University and Tom Seeley (though Seeley is an Ecologist not an Entomologist), or if you are willing to try Canada, check out The University of Guelph in Ontario and Ernesto Guzman.

I'm not sure where Marla Spivak is at - The University of Minnesota, I think. Dr. Spivak was heavily involved in the development of the Minnesota Hygienic line of bees - I can't remember if she led the effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts