Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to forum and new to beekeeping. I tried it last year and lost my bees to a late and hard spring freeze and also robbing. This year I will try two hives. I am trying to decide where to place the hives and was wondering about a few things. At what distance can you mow and walk in front of hives that wont bother the bees. I will put down landscpe fabric or something similar to keep weeds around the hive down, but how far from front the hive is acceptable to mow and or walk. Is the loud noise of the mower going to attract angy bees? How about the back of the hive? Sides? Please all opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Mow with a protection. Keep discharge chute directed away from colony entrance.

Personally I try to mow in the middle of the day during a flow. Or very late evening. You can mow right up to the colony.

Landscape fabric is a good option.

Weedwacker annoy my girls more than the rider.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have top bar hives that are raised up off the ground. I weedwack under them then I mow right up to the front and between them (they are in the front yard and my wife likes it pretty) Mowing is no problem most of the time, until I believe that they they don't mind at all and I can do what I want. Then I get stung.
My weedwhaker is a rechargeable electric , they don't seem to get upset about that. At least there has not been any reaction yet. But now that I have said it out loud ...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it really depends on what type of bees you have. Some are more aggressive than others.

I have Italians and run a mower and weed eater within 10 feet with no problems. I don't linger in their flight path, mind you, but they don't seem to mind.

Elsewhere on this site in a recipe for weed killer made with/from vinegar. I use it under the hive stand to keep weeds at bay, that and a bit of manual weeding while observing them work.

As far as the rear of the hive, thats where you can get away with the most noise and movement. As long as you aren't banging on the hive.

The best thing to do is a bit of trial and error. :D Even peaceful colonies can have a bad day! I would add that you should never take them for granted. Establish a sort of mutual respect and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've found that year in and year out the only time I have a problem is when I use a Gravely walk behind tractor to mow with. They ignore a small push mower as long as I don't bump the hive or direct the discharge shoot at them. Same, same for a gas powered weed whacker. I've even used a DR String trimmer next to the hives and nothing. Run the Gravely in front of the hives and it's General Quarters! I think there is a harmonics/vibration issue that gets 'em going.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
When I mow around the hives I wear all my bee protection they seem to really hate the mower or the weed wacker. They don’t seem to get real riled up until I get within about six feet.

Junglebill007:

do you have that recipe for vinegar weed killer?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can mow about 10' in front of them with no problem. ALWAYS discharge away from the hive. Any closer than that and I put my bee suit on. In the hot summer months I sometimes even use the smoker a little. They tend to get real angry when it's 100 degrees outside. There's been a few times I didn't use the smoker and I left the mower and ran for it. Nothing like running a 1/4 mile in 100 degree weather in a bee suit and boots on.

[ April 04, 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Propolis30 ]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basically what I am trying to do is keep a path mowed throught the field the bees will be kept above. It would require me mowing a path about 4-5 feet in front of the hive. I probably wouldnt need to mow it many times a year. If I move them to the other side of my planned path could I run a rider 2-3 feet behind it?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I bump my rider against the front of the hives with the discharge going away from the hive. In third gear and don't go back for the second pass for 3 to 5 minutes. I don't have a problem doing it that way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ohhhh I thought we were talking push mowing. Using the riding mower I have no problem mowing behind them at any speed. In front I mow all the way up to the hive with it full speed. I've had them chase me a little but haven't been stung yet.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've got landscape fabric down for about 6' in front of the hive. They "check me out" but so far haven't bothered me when I mow right in front of them with my push mower. Nonetheless, I wear my veil! My tiller's another story--my veggie garden's 20' in front of them, and if I try to use the mantis on the closest bed, fuggedaboudit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
my exmark goes so fast they cant catch me when I go by..on the other hand they will usually get me when I bend over to pick up my cap that blew off when I go whizzing by.. :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I try it until I see that I'm causing trouble. One hive let me mow right against it; the other wouldn't let me with in 10 feet. (I can still fill the pain I had in my neck after trying to pop one before she popped me. I must have simply drove the poison deeper... years ago, and the thought still hurts!)

Right now, I'm using sheet plastic under the hives. Actually an old shower curtain that was to be tossed. Keeps the weeds down and keeps the SHB from reaching soil.

Waya

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
>Nothing like running a 1/4 mile in 100 degree weather in a bee suit and boots on.

Perhaps you need a better bee suit?

I run my Dixon against all four sides then come back with the whacker. I have one hive that really enjoys the show, I think every one of them came out to watch what was going on and usher me back to the barn. :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
>Perhaps you need a better bee suit?

I don't think anything could help me here in East Texas in the middle of August. That's the one time of year I think why the heck do I do this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts