Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my first year in beekeeping and I have a question that has been a question that has been on my mind. I’m going to have 2 hives that will be on approx 18” high stands but how bad is it to mow around beehives and when is the best time to do it? Do you need to get suited up to mow? I‘m planning to use a ridding mower for this as well as the rest of the lawn.

Thanks again
Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just go by the hive really, really fast! All joking aside, the mower will get them a little worked up, and you might come between the hive and some of the foragers returning to the hive. Best time to do it is during the afternoon, when the foragers are in the field and there are fewer bees at home. I threw down some of that weed-stop plastic and mulch in the area under and immediately surrounding my hives. That way, you don't have to get right up next to the hive to mow.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do my mowing of apiaries just before dark,
after the sun has set so that the bees are
unwilling to fly.

I've yet to get stung when mowing, so it works
for me. Its also cooler then.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Eric; sometimes it can be done without problems sometimes they get quite upset. I would hand mow if you have one, next to the hives. If you dont' have one put on your veil and if you have to mow right next to the hives light up your smoker and give the entrances a good smoking and make the close pass by the hives. If there is a discharge of grass or exhaust on one side of mower try to face it away from hives. In the spring after the rainy season my yards weeds need cutting and we do it with two people, one with the smoker the other with the power mower and or string line trimmer. The smoker is absolutely necessary and precedes the cutting equipment.
Walt

·
Registered
711 Posts
Like stingray said, I put something down to stop the grass from growing under my hives. I have used felt/tar paper and shingles(again from my cousin the home builder). If the mower does pull the edge up enough it just cuts it and does no damage to the mower. That weed mat stuff can be a mess if the mower gets into it. I mowed 2 times all year around my hives but they are on a farm and not in the back yard. I have not had a problem but I wore my veil just incase both times and did not get a sting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Howdy Eric --

You might want to check on the newer weed & grass killler sprays. Economical enough and much faster with no upsetting bees.

Doc

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I can usually mow right up to the hive IF I do like Walt said, and keep the exhaust and the discharged clippings AWAY from the hive.

When I weed eat around the hive I usually wear one of those bug bafflers, keeps me from break dancing. ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
My hives are only about 12" off the ground but they don't seem to get too upset when I mow around them. Just wear a veil and mow right after dark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers I feel a little dopey asking but I just don't want mowing to be any more of a pain then it already is

Again thanks for the answers!

Eric

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also mow right up to my hives without a problem. I have always made sure that the grass blows away from them, though.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I mowed around mine all summer on the tractor, then in August, I got my butt kicked. A swarm came after me and I got 40+ stings in the head and neck on a moving tractor. It was ugly. Now I suit up when I mow that area.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
Seems like I've mowed the lawn once or twice in my life. Usually the horses do it for me, or, before the horses, it didn't grow much because I didn't water it. But I just put on a beesuit and mowed. Yes, you make sure it throws the grass AWAY from the hives.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I had carniolans in my backyard I could cut around them with no problems. I faced the direction of the blowing debris away from hive. They never got cross with me. Your bees may be different.

Ron

·
Registered
107 Posts
I putdown landscaping fabric under my hives, too, and extended it out for another 4 feet or so. i did mow around the hives without problem, but then, my girls were very gentle all summer and only developed attitude in the late fall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a friend that lays carpet. He gives me old carpet he pulls up from bedrooms and such. i put a piece about 8x8 under each hive, with the hive to the back. Never have to mow and its easier now to work the bees.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My hives aren't in the yard but they are next to fields that are farmed alot. We drive tractors real close to them and usually don't have a problem. However, approaching rain or wind on top of that is usually bad. It's kind of like of like snuff and indigestion. It doens't cause it, but if something else did, it intensifies it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts