Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a comment in BillS's post about moving hives short distances using a branch. Could someone please explain this to me? I need to move a hive about 12 feet.

I searched the archives and found some info, and one reference to leaning a board against the front of the hive. Is the branch supposed to be a large leafy one, or just a stick? Should it be leaned on the front of the hive to obstruct the entrance, or placed just nearby as a locator?

Also, I need to combine 2 hives. Would it be better to combine, then move? Or move, then combine?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Branch--we just use a leafy branch or two held onto the top of the hive by a brick or rock--the branch should hang over the entrance and cause an obstruction is the idea! This causes the bees to reorient.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think that's the michael bush "bush" method! while he may not have come up with it, he certainly has added his own creativity and has kept it in the public eye

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's an NC beekeeper of some standing who says he picks up a hive(after most of th ebees have returned in the evening), turns 3 revolutions clockwise, 3 revolutions counter-clockwise, raises it up and down 3 times and sets the hive where he wants it. Claims it works. I don't know how he keeps from getting dizzy...but he claims the bees get confused and reorient wehen the come out of the hive. I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hobie,

What I have done in the past is to put a potted plant or shrub in front of the hive, close up so they have to go up. I guess it messed them up enough that they had to re-orient each time they went out. It usually works well, just not this time.

Bill Schaefer

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wonder if using the distinctive patterns or different color paint on hives is helpful in keeping the bees correctly-oriented when moving a hive?

·
Registered
918 Posts
There's an NC beekeeper of some standing who says he picks up a hive(after most of th ebees have returned in the evening), turns 3 revolutions clockwise, 3 revolutions counter-clockwise, raises it up and down 3 times and sets the hive where he wants it.
It sounds to me like he's trying to stay in shape without the expense of buying a set of barbells! Whew, it makes me tired just thinking about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts