Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a comment in BillS's post about moving hives short distances using a branch. Could someone please explain this to me? I need to move a hive about 12 feet.

I searched the archives and found some info, and one reference to leaning a board against the front of the hive. Is the branch supposed to be a large leafy one, or just a stick? Should it be leaned on the front of the hive to obstruct the entrance, or placed just nearby as a locator?

Also, I need to combine 2 hives. Would it be better to combine, then move? Or move, then combine?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Branch--we just use a leafy branch or two held onto the top of the hive by a brick or rock--the branch should hang over the entrance and cause an obstruction is the idea! This causes the bees to reorient.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's an NC beekeeper of some standing who says he picks up a hive(after most of th ebees have returned in the evening), turns 3 revolutions clockwise, 3 revolutions counter-clockwise, raises it up and down 3 times and sets the hive where he wants it. Claims it works. I don't know how he keeps from getting dizzy...but he claims the bees get confused and reorient wehen the come out of the hive. I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hobie,

What I have done in the past is to put a potted plant or shrub in front of the hive, close up so they have to go up. I guess it messed them up enough that they had to re-orient each time they went out. It usually works well, just not this time.

Bill Schaefer

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wonder if using the distinctive patterns or different color paint on hives is helpful in keeping the bees correctly-oriented when moving a hive?

·
Registered
918 Posts
There's an NC beekeeper of some standing who says he picks up a hive(after most of th ebees have returned in the evening), turns 3 revolutions clockwise, 3 revolutions counter-clockwise, raises it up and down 3 times and sets the hive where he wants it.
It sounds to me like he's trying to stay in shape without the expense of buying a set of barbells! Whew, it makes me tired just thinking about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.