Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I currently have three hives sitting on a pallet side by side facing east. I would like to move two of the three about 10 feet to the west and face them southeast. The old location and the new location have a small pine tree between them. The hive that will remain is the weakest of the the three.

My current plan is to move the two stronger hives tomorrow evening to the new location, park a tree branch or two in front of the relocated hives and then slide the hive that is left behind over closer to where the other hives entrances were....thinking that the weaker hive may pick up a few workers from the relocated (stronger) hives.

Any comments or suggestions?

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS I'm not moving the two stronger hives solely for the benefit of the weaker one. I need to move them for other reasons...thought that a side benefit may be to strengthen the weaker hive.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Without running in any kind of trouble, I would bring the hives to a friend (out of the 3km range) for one week and than back to there new spot.
With your idea you might loose all of the outside workers to the other hives ....and risk a big robbing.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Go ahead and do it. Let us know how it works out for you. You don't know what will happen if you don't try. You can always move them back if it doesn't work out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts