Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving all of my hives to medium boxes this year. Should have done it that way from the beginning. As this week is all highs in the 60s, lows in 30s my thought is to do it soon before the bees start making their way back into the deeps.

My plan is to remove the deeps, drop the 2 mediums on each hive to the bottom and put a new medium with fresh wax on top. It could snow here again before the season really starts. Too soon or good idea?

Thanks,

John

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If they are empty that's a great plan. If not, you might want to replace the empty frames with mediums and go from there. Of course they will build comb on the bottom of them, but that's easy enough to cut off.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Same thing here! Sounds like a very good idea! Should be in the 60's here the next few days, then drop back to the 30's.

:thumbsup: once again Mr. Bush.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, Michael. See you in Leominister this summer?

7 hours later...
Just came in from moving 2 of the hives to all 3-high mediums. First, I picked up the 2 mediums on each hive and put them on the cover, moved the deep(s), cleaned off the SBB and put the mediums onto them. I then brushed all of the bees remaining on the deeps into the hive, added a 3rd medium to each stack and closed them up. I scratched a couple of deep frames that still had honey on them and left them leaning against a nearby tree. Once they clean those off I'll put the rest of the deep frames out there. Tomorrow I'll do the other 2 and put some feeders on the hives that are light.

John

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Thanks, Michael. See you in Leominister this summer?

I would be if I was on that side of the world, but I'm on the other side of the world for the next year so I plan to be there a year from this summer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts