Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to move some hives to a new location tomorrow and it's only 2 miles from the current location. It's my understanding the new location should be farther away so any suggestions on how to make this work?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
block the entrance with grass/cedar limbs,etc-not completely,but enough to slow them a bunch and they will reorient themselves 'cause they know somethings changed. after a day, remove it,and all will be well. good luck,mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Mike. Be sure to completely block the hive entrance the night before, after dark, to keep them in until you can move them. Use something like screen so they can have air movement. Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I already have the screens made, just waiting for dark to block them. Ya'll have made me feel a lot better about the move and I'll semi-block the entrance with grass when I take the screen out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Moved two this weekend. Expect a lot of activity around the hive entrance. There will be a lot of bees flying around the opening as they re-orient themsleves to the new location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts