Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears we may be moving in the late summer to mid fall. Driving, it is about 3 to 3 1/2 miles away. However, "as the bee flies" it may be about 1 1/2 to 2 Miles.

I'm guessing this is a problem? I've been told you have to move them at least 3 miles or they return home to where the hive was.

Are there ways around this?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi Bob D--It will not be a problem. There are a lot of different posts here about moving hives. Check some of them out through the search of this site.
All you will need to do when ready to move your hives is:
In the evening after all the foragers have returned to the hive seal up the entrances with screen or boards or whatever.
Strap or nail strips of wood to keep the hive from shifting or sliding apart.
Have a helper to lift the hives onto the trailer or truck or whatever you are using to move the hives.
After placing the hives at the new location place limbs or brush over the entrance/exit of the hives so that the bees will reorient to their new location.
Unplug the entrances.
That is the basiics simplified.
Remember that the bees need air when moving, especially in hot weather. After you search for more information and prepare it will be quite easily accomplished.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
585 Posts
You have to get them to re-orient. One way to do this is to put something in front of the entrance, like a branch. You can also close up the hive (with screen, making sure they have adequate ventilation - you might want to give them syrup as well) for an extended period to get them to re-orient - 72 hours is what I've heard.

Just today I moved two hives 2 miles as the bee flies. I taped some weeds to the front of the hive, and fortunately I have a hive where these two came from to catch any stragglers.

So long as the hives are strong, even if you lose some field bees you shouldn't be in any major trouble.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts