Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put queen cells in meeting nucs today, but the weather is turning cold this week, with temperatures getting down to 28. I was considering moving them into the garage in order to keep them from getting as cold. They will hatch out in two days, so I considered locking them up for two days with a feeder in the garage until at least the queens hatched. Has anyone ever done this or have an opinion on the subject?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
When I stock minis for the 1st time I leave them in the basement for 3 days

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I put queen cells in meeting nucs today, but the weather is turning cold this week, with temperatures getting down to 28. I was considering moving them into the garage in order to keep them from getting as cold. They will hatch out in two days, so I considered locking them up for two days with a feeder in the garage until at least the queens hatched. Has anyone ever done this or have an opinion on the subject?
I assume the hives will be in the garage but the bees will be screened to prevent them leaving the hive. Shade the nucs but nothing tight covering. You dont want them piling up against the screen trying to get out if they feel the sun shining in on them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up putting them in an insulated out building with a heater set on 50°. This way, I hope they will stay warm enough to take some feed, but not get too hot since they are cooped up. Our dog houses are in this building, so I’m sure the dogs will love the heat as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts