Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot as in temp.... not aggression :D

This evening I need to move 2 hives..from about 6 miles away. I will do this at dark.. one should be no problem. However, one of the hives is very full of bees and I am afraid they will be "out on the front porch" after dark. Normally, I stuff foam rubber or something in the entrance but I may not be able to do this. I know they will hang on during the ride but I am concerned about getting attacked during the loading and unloading process.

If I gently smoke them and they dont want to move inside... does anyone have any suggestions ? I need to do it tonight while I have help.

thanks
charlotte

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Or if you can access a water hose, soak em down, real good, after smoking them in a little. Cooling them down will help keep them in. In summer the best time to move bees is early in the morning. Don't try to close the entrance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The smoke should work, but if there are stragglers -- cast them to the winds. A wet towel in the entrance with work fine.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Smoke 'em good before loading. Slowly they will go in if you repeatedly (word?) smoke them over a 10-15 min time frame. Not a big cloud of smoke but enough to make them move. Don't shine a light on them when doing that or they will take flight to the light when you smoke 'em. DO NOT CLOSE THEM IN. Have your truck running before you put them on it. Leave it running when you get to the new location. Smoke them before taking them off. You will have a few stragglers left behind. If it is a big concern leave a empty hive body behind and you can pick them up the next night.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
water and smoke may help. Probably not all of them will go in no matter what you do. Close it up anyway and move it if that's what you need to do. But you could also split it up and have more smaller hives easier to manage both for the move and after. Either way you need to requeen it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have moved them in hot weather by stapling screen wire on top before dark. Then after you get them loaded you can take off the top to give them some air. Thake some cold water and spray with a pump up spayer and they will go inside. After they are in shove a piece of metal pot scrubber. If they are not agressive i don't see a need to requeen.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I was wondering why you would not try to close them in....
if you're not real careful to give them enough (often a "judgement" call as to how populated vs. how many square inches) ventilation they can die in minutes in hot weather.
good luck,mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts