Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started two packages, on April 7 , added three nucs two weeks ago. They are all in my fenced yard I now have to move them to their new fenced bee yard about 100 ft across the driveway. I am reading about moving and getting more unsure of the plan. What suggestions are available for a successful move.
My plan is/was, to move them in the evening with the entrance closed simply using a hand truck, arranging them in their new digs, putting some branches in front of each entrance to alert the bees to the change. Am I missing something/
thanks

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Don't go too light on the branches .....don't choke them out either but you want to definitely make them aware something has changed

·
Registered
629 Posts
When I tried using branches I didn't have much success. So I just used a piece of plywood and forced them to go to the end of the landing board. That was successful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did this exact thing a few weeks ago. I got my first colony this year. We just moved into this house and not really familiar with the area. I selected the location for my hive before the leaves came back on the trees. After the colony was in place, the leaves came out and the spot was completely shady.

I found a new spot a 100 feet away that I wanted to move them to. I closed up the hive after dark, then just at day break my wife and I moved the hive. I placed a length of bubble wrap over the entrance, hanging from the top cover. When I removed the entrance block, it was a sight to behold. Hundred of bees came oozing from the hive. They found their way around the bubble wrap and flew around and around the hive. I guess they were reorienting.

Later that day I went over to the old hive location, and there were hundreds of angry bees that could not find their home. I was worried that I made a huge mistake. I kept checking throughout the day, adn the numbers of lost bees appeared to be dwindling.

I placed a sheet out at the old hive location for a place for any straggling lost bees to land for the night. When I went out that evening, there was not a bee to be found.

They all seem happy in their new location now, a few weeks later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts