Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to move a Langstroth hive, which is two deeps and a shallow super. Can I strap them together and move them on their back, or do they need to stay vertical?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure. How r u going to do it? W/ a handcart?
Yes, and slide it into the back of my old Yukon. Hoping I can put off getting a flat bed a little bit longer:) Keeping hives in friends' back yards sounds cool, but the road to 60,000 bees is more than most feel-good-liberal-residential-types can tolerate.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Can you stand it up in the Yukon? That's a pickup truck, isn't it? It shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't leave it laying on it's back very long or during transport. But that's just me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More like a SUV, with 4x8 cargo space, bout 3 ft high. Only going about 4 miles to some orange groves, so should be ok, I guess. Thanks again:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The biggest problem you will have is the boxes separating while on their back. Even strapped together there will likely be some slippage. You may have enough room to put the hive in upright, if so do it that way and face the frames so they are front to back in the vehicle that way there is no crushing of bees when you hit the brakes or a bump in the road. Another option is to shake the bees out of your super, load it separately then later after the bees have settled into your deeps load them into the truck. After the move put the super back on. Things will be lighter that way too.
Do you have a trailer hitch? Loading them with a dolly onto a trailer is a lot easier than lifting into the passenger compartment. Be sure to also cover the hive with a net. Loose bees in the cab can be, uh, er distracting to say the least.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got my bottle of honey b gone, might be a good time to try it out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would be very nervous of killing bees with the hive laid down on its back. You maybe ok if you haven't been in the hive lately and everything is glued together real good. Do you have or can you borrow one of those cargo things that slide into the trailer hitch on the back of you suv? They work great for moving a couple hives. There only about $89 from Harbor freight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be very nervous of killing bees with the hive laid down on its back. You maybe ok if you haven't been in the hive lately and everything is glued together real good. Do you have or can you borrow one of those cargo things that slide into the trailer hitch on the back of you suv? They work great for moving a couple hives. There only about $89 from Harbor freight.
It was on sale--Came to $82.58 delivered. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions, the trailer hitch mounted cargo carrier was a winner. Worked great for my 8 frames boxes, but it will perfectly accommodate 2 ten frame boxes.
[URL="[/URL]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts