Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..., yet another question...

I have 1 new hive this year that I am getting ready to winterize soon. This was my first ever hive. However, I will be getting 3 more in the early spring of 2006.

My question is: We may be moving, but we aren't sure. If we do, it will be after I get my new hives (about a month after) and it will be only about 3 to 5 miles up the road. Can I move my hives? Simply seal them up at night and gently transport them and reopen them in the morning when they settle down from the move?

Any ideas or advice (step by step a plus) would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Bob D
Brentwood/Epping, NH

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Can I move my hives?.......... Yes

Simply seal them up at night and gently transport them and reopen them in the morning when they settle down from the move?............. Yes

It is recommended to place something in front of each of the entrances when they set at the new location. Like a branch. This aids orientation for the bees.

Seal all the entrances with 1/8" hardware cloth and moving at night is nice. Be careful as bees do not like being screwed with at night. Wear a suit.

I would look toward the 5 mile part of your range to insure them not returning to their previous site.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If you have the equipment and the help, I'd close them up after dark and move them in one piece. If you don't, I'd load them up a box at a time in the middle of the afternoon and wait until dark and close them up and drive them to the new place and unload them in the morning. Put a branch in front of the hive entrance to trigger reorientation.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
sundance adds:
Seal all the entrances with 1/8" hardware cloth and moving at night is nice. Be careful as bees do not like being screwed with at night. Wear a suit.

tecumseh muses:
at night bees cannot see but they can craw very well. bees that fall to the ground tend to craw up. make sure your pant are tucked into a good set of boot or firmly secured.

I typically move bees in the very early morning or after the sun has set. In good weather (cool) I simply stuff a plastic grocery store bag in the hive entrance. once the hive is set into it new location I pretty much immediately pull the entrance plug with no dire effects.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I screen them up at night and move them during daylight. I will leave them caged until the next day early in the morning so they get a full sun cycle in their new location, this helps with orientation. Make sure they have good ventilation if the weather is hot.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The moving process will go much smoother if you take steps to make sure the hive will stay together in one unit. I like to use hive staples to attach the bottom board to the bottom deep and the bottom deep to the upper deep. You can use ratchet straps but many of my hives have shifted around even when tightly ratcheted. Never had a problem with the staples. Hint: don't nail them all the way in - leave room to get a hive tool under them for easy removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts