Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently split a hive and moved it about 30 feet to the other side of my backyard. It was brutally heavy (just one 10 frame w bottom board). Any equipment or suggestions on how to move hive?

·
Registered
145 Posts
You could change over to 8 frame medium equipment. Which is liter in weight. I use nothing but 8 frame medium equipment in my own yard. Another is to strap the hive together and use a dolly to move the highs.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
A move in the home yard is simple, just remove half the frames to another box, make the move ang recombine at the new hive location. Don't lift one heavy weight when you can divide it into several lighter ones.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
A move in the home yard is simple, just remove half the frames to another box, make the move ang recombine at the new hive location. Don't lift one heavy weight when you can divide it into several lighter ones.
Has to be by far the best solution ...

If for some reason you must move one single box - use a converted wheelbarrow. If you should need to move a small stack - say, 2 or 3 deeps high a few feet every couple of days (to keep the foragers onboard) - then strap the stack onto a sack-truck.

Be kind to your back :)
LJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts