Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 hives and really need to get them moved . I made the mistake of placing them in my field 2 years ago at the time was 2 hives and have grone to 7. I read some where that it didnt mater in the winter time the bees only take cleaning flights. Can someone help with this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
when moving a hive in the winter you have to be carefull you dont nock the hive around and break up the cluster, if it is to cold they wont be able to reform the cluster, and die off.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I'd move them gently on a medium temp day (like 40 F) but cold enough they will be clustered and after they have been for several days. Several days confinement will cause them to reorient. As mentioned if it's too cold and they fall out of the cluster they won't be able to get back to the cluster.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I moved six about two weeks ago on a day the temps got up to about 48 and it seemed to work well. The new location was 7 miles away. All six are doing very well now and bringing in pollen from something, probably elm.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'd move them gently on a medium temp day (like 40 F) but cold enough they will be clustered and after they have been for several days. Several days confinement will cause them to reorient. As mentioned if it's too cold and they fall out of the cluster they won't be able to get back to the cluster.
I need to move a hive as well and was concerned with temperature. Day time temps appear to be above 50 for the next 2 weeks, but night time is very variable. Some nights 30s, some nights 40s.

? Would it still be OK to move with cold night time temps?
? What about moving in the rain with these same temps?

Also, I might just move across the street, take your advice and screen them up for a few days. I also heard a trick about putting newspaper between the two boxes as a way to occupy them and keep them in their new place.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hank

moving in the winter is ok just go slow and not jerking or droping

as to you other question - it seems you just need to relocate your hives on your proporty???
if you move them at night or a day when they are all inside go ahead and move them to there new spot - but place some green limbs in front of the hive also place some grass in the entrence - this will slow them down on take off and make them stop and look around before heading off to go shoppin

one note for new beekeepers - think about a bee hive as a giant block of cement about the size of you car --- put it in a spot that is not going to have to be moves everytime you mow !!!!!!!

Location, Location, location !!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts