Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to move a hive within a half mile or should i move it about 5 miles for about a week to bee able to bring it back to the closer location??????????????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: moveing hive

Move it at least 3 miles for a couple of days then move it to where you want it. I learned that a mile is not enough distance. Had to move the hive back to get all the bees back in.

:doh:

·
Registered
25 Posts

I was under the impression that all you had to do was re-orient them by putting a branch in front of the entrance to make them realize things were different. I have to move one a mile next week and was planning on just using the branch. I hope it works.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Not just 'a branch'... it has to be something different that MAKES them notice the entrance is different.

I moved mine about 100 yards (they'd been in the first location just overnight) and put the entrance reducer hole on the other side of the hive. Didn't notice any in the previous area.

The people I've read about who moved established hives HEAPED dead twiggy branches and dried grass around the entrance so the bees had to work their way out.

Good luck...

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of places where I can temporarily place a hive for a couple of days if I need to move them. If you don't and have to move a hive then try the other way. I would be curious to know how well it worked for you.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

The older beekeeping "rule" if you will is two feet or two miles. Many report success with moving a shorter distance and placing something like a leafy branch over the entrance so they notice something has changed.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

when/if I move mine thats exactly what i do. I generally take a leafy green branch and stuff it in the entrance when i get it to the new location. It has worked well for me...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

A half mile is about the worst. Are there other hives still at the old location? If so the ones who don't figure it out will go there and it won't be that much of a loss. If not, they tend to go back and then circle to find the new location, however a 1/2 mile is a lot of spiral circles to get back... where 100 yards isn't so bad...

Still anything to get them to reorient will help. Branch. Knocking the hive around... etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts