Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my hive. It gets morning shade up until about noon. It also faces NW, I want to move it away from the cotton field to the farthest corner of my yard(about 250 ft) and turn it to face the SE so it gets morning sun and has a tree/shrub windbreak to the NW, where all of our bad winter weather comes from. I figure if I move it 1' a day, it will take the better part of a year to move it. I hate to truck it several miles away and then bring it back, but that looks like my only viable option at this point. Any better suggestions?

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
I have a similar situation. And the same gripes. So I've decided to wait till late fall and move every one around where I need them to be.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Maybe I should add, moving them a couple of feet doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, but I'd do that first, wait a while, and then change the direction. I wouldn't both move them two feet And change the direction at the same time.

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Just move them.

Do it on a rainy day or the day before rain is due and in the evening. You can always put a box out to collect those going back to the old spot. My guess with the main flow over for now, your not going to lose many bees compared to the inconvenience of moving several feet - for how many days?

Sometimes we micro-manage them to the point that we worry about every small detail.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Basically the only two things I do special are leaving a box there to collect the stragglers and putting a branch at the entrance of the new location to get them to orient. I only have a few stragglers even the first day.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Thats sounds great to me. I've wanted to move my hives and was afraid to....

I think we'll get started today. I have three that needs shade.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts