Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on making some splits from hives at my home yard.

I have an outyard to put them on to keep them from going back to their original hive. But, it's 45 minutes away. Too far to keep my eye on them.

What's a reasonable amount of time I should keep them there, before I could think about moving them back?

·
Registered
760 Posts
what i do is make a split and take the parent hive to a new location and leave the new slpit in place of the old hive -

this does a few things ... one is that the parent hive doesnt need watching so much so it can go to the outyard

also the field bees will come back to the weak split hive and already know where to find food and water ...... saving at least a day or 2

after about 2-3 weeks you can move the hive back but if your like me and are smart .... just put the parent hive in the out yard and bring home a hive from the out yard that way the number of hives stays the same

good luck with it

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I do all my splits in the same yard. For even splits, I put them side by side. If I'm making up a nuc, I take frames of brood and nurse bees so they won't drift back to the original hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts