Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have three occupied four foot top bar hives and one empty one. We have four 12 bar top bar nucs (all same footprint as the full size hives which are Les Crowder Plans slightly modified) that are occupied as well. While I don't have an particular issues with my TBHs, I want to run some Langs as well. So I have some deeps at the house with all of the accompanying parts and pieces. My top bars are 20" long 1.25" wide. I'm planning on using a skill saw to cut the excess off of the frames so that they will fit into the lang deep. Width of comb should be fine to fit into the box, I made sure I kept that in mind when I built the TBHs incase this very situation ever became something I decided to do.

Has anyone done something similar? The nucs currently have about six bars with comb each, but by the time I finish getting the frames (shaved down to 1.25") and bodies assembled and painted, they will probably have a bit more. I'm planning on putting the bars with comb in the center of the deep and filling whatever space is outside of them with foundationless deep frames. Am I setting myself up for failure and across combing nightmare? The drawn bars are in good shape as far as straightness go, and I would work at getting the top bars rotated out of the nest so as to pose as little risk of collapse as possible.

Any advice or warnings? I'd like to go about doing it this way so as to be a bit less intrusive compared to chopping comb off of the top bars and rubber banding it into the deeps.

Another option would be to see what it would look like to assemble the side and bottom bars onto one of my top bars so that they could build it into the frame? They wouldn't have any boxes above the single deep at the time of installation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cut and rubber band into frames would make a complete transition.
I thought about merging TBH into Langs by rubber banding a Lang top bar onto / under the TBH top bar and place it into a TBH. Once it has been drawn out. Remove the Lang top bar and comb, add the sides and bottom bar frame pieces. Then place it into a Lang box. You could make Lang nucs from TBH. I havn't tested the concept. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only thing i have had to worry about with foundationless frames is that the hive must be quite level side to side. without leveling, sometimes the bees draw the comb from the top of one frame to the bottom of another. obviously, this is something to be avoided. I do slope my hives a little bit from back to front so they can drain easily if water were to get into them.

There are many ideas about what to use for comb guides at the top of the foundationless frames. popsicle sticks are common, and so is the method of simply turning the wedge sideways and nailing it in place. My preference is to use about a 1" strip of plasticell foundation as a starter strip. i havent had any wonky comb problems since i started doing this.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing i have had to worry about with foundationless frames is that the hive must be quite level side to side. without leveling, sometimes the bees draw the comb from the top of one frame to the bottom of another. obviously, this is something to be avoided. I do slope my hives a little bit from back to front so they can drain easily if water were to get into them.

There are many ideas about what to use for comb guides at the top of the foundationless frames. popsicle sticks are common, and so is the method of simply turning the wedge sideways and nailing it in place. My preference is to use about a 1" strip of plasticell foundation as a starter strip. i havent had any wonky comb problems since i started doing this.
I'm planning on using a strip of foundation (not sure what kind exactly, my grandpa had some left over in his basement from many years ago), or possibly tongue depressors (I used them on some top bars and they seem to be doing well).

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut and rubber band into frames would make a complete transition.
I thought about merging TBH into Langs by rubber banding a Lang top bar onto / under the TBH top bar and place it into a TBH. Once it has been drawn out. Remove the Lang top bar and comb, add the sides and bottom bar frame pieces. Then place it into a Lang box. You could make Lang nucs from TBH. I havn't tested the concept. Has anyone tried this?

I'm planning on using a strip of foundation (not sure what kind exactly, my grandpa had some left over in his basement from many years ago), or possibly tongue depressors (I used them on some top bars and they seem to be doing well).

Re: Foundationless frames, I will of course have the hive leveled very well as I did with my top bar hives.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two TBH nucs moved to Langs. One will be going into a full size four foot hive Sunday morning.

The drive out:
10422565_10100292915167765_3531868597403870221_n.jpg

After install:
10534573_10100292915207685_7979978920354308060_n.jpg

They couldn't have cared less about what we were doing. Very very calm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is how i did it i converted a lang to fit my top bar.I made a split i took bars with honey,pollen,brood,caped brood,lots of nurse bees and queen set the converted lang on top
another lang as they start drawing comb in the bottom lang i put the queen in bottom lang add queen excluder.take a look at pics hope that helps. They turn the top bar/lang into
honey storage.
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/captcatfish1/slideshow/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts