Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the temps are much higher (warmer), not falling below 60 in the evening, is it safe to move brood frames to the outer edges and move empty frames to the center to encourage the bees to draw them out. I have 5 frames in the middle all filled out, one completely with honey.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I woulds advise against breaking up the brood chamber for the sake of getting frames drawn, when they feel they need them they will draw them. JMO:)

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I will move outer frames into the heart of the brood frames to get them fully drawn out. Sometimes they'll draw the 9 & 2 positions full when they expand the brood nest but the 1 and 10 poositions invariable need "finishing". When it's warm and flow is on they'll draw those out beautifully and it'll be laid in a matter of days.

It's obviously not the only way to skin that cat but that's how I'd choose to do it if I was in your position.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
There is not a problem trading frame spaces as long as it is done sparingly, take one undrawn and place it between 2 of the drawn, check on them periodically and see how its going.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
With a colony that weak I would place 1 frame of foundation between 2 frames of brood. After a week I would do it again and keep repeating until they are all drawn.

·
Registered
892 Posts
There is not a problem trading frame spaces as long as it is done sparingly, take one undrawn and place it between 2 of the drawn, check on them periodically and see how its going.
note on the above procedure, the bees may have a tendancy to draw out sides that face the blank foundation into the gap. then only drawing the new foundation half way. winding up with 2 frames that are out of line. one fat and one skinny.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
note on the above procedure, the bees may have a tendancy to draw out sides that face the blank foundation into the gap. then only drawing the new foundation half way. winding up with 2 frames that are out of line. one fat and one skinny.
we very rarely have this problem, not enough to even mention it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts