Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moved Nuc's and single super hives before, but never an established one.

My typical method is to tape screen on the entrance and use a strap to ratchet the super, bottom and top together. I do this right at dusk, once the foragers have returned. I can pick the single up, put it in the car and drive it to the new location.

But, how would one go about moving a hive with, for example, two deep supers and one medium super? What time of day would you do it?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...two deep supers and one medium super?..."
thats to tall to fit in any car i've seen, so you would be best off with a pick-up or a trailor. when i put a stack like this on a trailor by myself, i use a 2 wheel dolly and ramps. a low trailor is the easiest. if you dont have a dolly and feel REALY lucky, you could try a 2 wheel wheelbarrow but you have to take it apart to get it on the 'barrow, which means doing it early and coming back after they settle back down.
2."...What time of day would you do it..."
"right at dusk, once the foragers have returned. " works for big'uns too
good luck,mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just bought out a few hives yesterday from a lady who's husband had passed away.We used a hive carrier from Kelley co. and it was a lifesaver.One hive was a triple deep that was packed with honey(300+ pounds).Just screened the entrance and strapped them and stuck them in the back of my truck.I have 2 others to move today that will need to be broken down before we can move them.One has 3 deeps and 3 mediums packed with honey,who knows what it weighs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I broke them apart this morning and moved them from their stand to the hand trolley, getting all of the straps in place (so that I could easily ratchet it all together this evening.)

They all found the hive (it was only a couple of feet from the original location), but they are bearding all over it. I guess I have never looked at them this late at night, but all of my big hives are bearding (it's about an hour-and-a-half after sunset - as dark as its going to get - 10:30 PM).

I will probably check once more at 11 PM and then set my alarm and try again around 4 am.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I always end up doing it during the day a box at a time, since I'm by myself and that's the simplest. If you have the help, all at once after dark makes sense, but, I seldom get the opportunity as I can't lift a full hive myself.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
leave an empty box(deep or super) with a frame of comb in it(and a top and bottom, of course) and get the stragglers the next day.
good luck,mike

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would NOT put a box at the old loction until just before dark. That way during the day they have no "home" and will continue to look for the new location. If they have a box, they will move in and NOT look for the new location.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have moved Nuc's and single super hives before, but never an established one.

My typical method is to tape screen on the entrance and use a strap to ratchet the super, bottom and top together. I do this right at dusk, once the foragers have returned. I can pick the single up, put it in the car and drive it to the new location.

But, how would one go about moving a hive with, for example, two deep supers and one medium super? What time of day would you do it?
I would do it exactly as you described.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok Im getting ready to bring four full hives back from the mountains this week. The way I do it is put a piece of tape over notch in inner cover,take off the supers,then what I have left is a double deep. Take weight off. I will do this mid day or so. I then put a ratchet strap and cinch it down real tight. Then late,around ten pm or so I will put a moving screen on the hive in essence trapping all of them in. Any stragglers,remember your mama saying nothing happens good after midnight,well my cut off is 10pm.The key is dont use a flashlight directly on the entrance when putting the screens on They really really dont like that. Next morning early,I load them on the truck and get them home as quick as I can. By nine or so. Dont wont them to get hot. All this is to get sourwood. It works well and its not bad on the bees. Peace Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts