Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started 2 hives early spring, have on that was split, and just got 2 nucs a week ago from another beek. Would it be ok to steal new comb from the better established hives and move it to the newly hived nucs to help out with space for egg laying and food?

I started this year new, no established comb, I'm thinking that the higher numbers in the older hives are producing comb at a higher rate than the new ones...will this method help the new hives to grow faster

Thanks

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yes it's done all the time by beekeepers, also if you have a strong hive you can give a frame or two of brood two the nuc's to boost up their population. Good luck. Jack

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The above is correct but if you transfer frames of brood make sure there is enough bees to cover that brood that is given to the weak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One caution that doesn't get mentioned very much with this practice is the transfer of mites and disease. For instance I got a big strong swarm this year that came with a mite drop of about 50 per day right now. I would never transfer brood from that hive to my other hive that I only see one mite dropped every other day.

Just a thought.

I would like to hear other more experience BKs on this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The disease, mite issue is a thought. Also as a new beek make sure you don't transfer your queen. We new beeks might make that mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts