Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I have 8 hives, 4 were started with 3 lb packages and 4 were started with NUC’s. Here is my question the NUC’s are doing so much better, I’m thinking about moving a frame of brood from each NUC into each hive that was originally started with a package. My question is how will I know when to move the frames of brood and what is the process. This is exactly why I bought the 4 packages and 4 NUC’s so I could experiment and learn….

Thank you
Jay T

·
Registered
760 Posts
the brood cappings will be very light when they are first capped but as a week of bees walking on them they turn a darker color and you will start to see each cell outlined by the comb under the capping - this is about 2-3 days before the bees emerge - this is when i try to move brood that way the bees dont have to try so hard to keep that brood warm - and it is instant bees in a few days -

when did you install your bees?? -

id wait until at least a week of brood has emerged before moving the frames for brood - reason is is that, bees only produce wax for a short time in there life and you need them to help make wax for the parent colony then you can start taking brood - take too early and the parent hive will be starving for wax and not grow as fast as you want - then you might get 2 week hives rather then one strong one - but if you wait until june to take brood you can make 2 strong hives !!!

hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts