Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://bit.ly/ca86JV

I will be moving my hives to a new location this year. It has a better wind break, great forage opportunity, and room enough for expansion.

Is there a way to move these hives only 1 mile (as outlined on that map) without first moving them a few miles in another direction?

I've read that if you move the hives and pile leafy branches at the entrance they will re-orient to that spot, even if it is not a distance greater than 2 miles. Is this accurate? I don't want to mess up my hives early in the year. I worked hard to get them built up for winter, and then through winter, and I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor in 2010.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
How many hives do you have? I've moved hives short distances several times.
If time allows, just move the strongest hives. Two weeks later, move the remaining strongest hives. Two weeks later take the rest, if there are any left, and put them on the strongest hives places in the new location, moving those strongest hives to different locations in the yard. It will end up getting you moved and equalizing the strength of your hives all at the same time, with minimal losses from making the move.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Was successful last year moving a hive aprox 1/2 mile. We put an entrance reducer in the new location and then put a a good sized potted plant in front of that entrance.

Since the old location was my back yard I was able to observe the consequences. Within two hours there were about 100-150 bees that returned to the old location. They were forever lost and gradually died out over the next two weeks. Sad but true.. and there was another hive only 40 ft away.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There was a thread on here yesterday about moving 500 yards with good experience reported. Scroll back a bit to that but the idea of putting stuff around the entrance was the basic idea.
And Fuzzy , 100-150 bee loss out of a hive or many hives is sad but very minor losses. We try to avoid moving hives around but you do what you have to do and sometimes when you have the time to do it.
My only move was single story starters that I had to move away from my stronger hives. Slipped four of them into the back of a Ford Bronco II.
Ran a 4 inch wide piece of 1/4 inch plywood for a foot along the bottom board with a short screw in each corner to attach the bottom. About a month later when they needed a second super I brought them back to my house.
Best of luck on the move, and I assume you'll be doing it soon while the hives are at the lowest populations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts