Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a top bar hive nuc with 10 bars that is full of bees and brood, and I want to move them to my full size top bar hive. The full size hive is set up and leveled about 8 feet from where the nuc was overwintered, and I don't want to move it. Is it going to be a problem to simply move the bars from the nuc to the hive? Will the foragers find the new hive 8 feet away?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a top bar hive nuc with 10 bars that is full of bees and brood, and I want to move them to my full size top bar hive. The full size hive is set up and leveled about 8 feet from where the nuc was overwintered, and I don't want to move it. Is it going to be a problem to simply move the bars from the nuc to the hive? Will the foragers find the new hive 8 feet away?
Any other hives near by?

You have a few options....

Options 1, the most cautious, but a pain...Would be to move the Nuc, about a foot or two, every couple of days. Once it's at the new Hive location, make the transfer.

Option 2, and probably what I would do...Install the Nuc in the new hive and place something partially obstructing the entrance to help prompt them to re-orient to the new location. Most folks will use a leafy branch or something that they have to navigate through and around. Don't put anything at the old location of the Nuc.
If there's nothing between the existing Nuc site and the new Hive location, this should work fine. If there are other Hive in between the two, some of your foragers may end up with a change of address. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good ideas Moots. There are 2 other hives, 1 to each side of the hive I'm moving into, 1 of which is directly between the the nuc and new hive. With lots of new brood emerging, would the loss of the few foragers be a setback?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good ideas Moots. There are 2 other hives, 1 to each side of the hive I'm moving into, 1 of which is directly between the the nuc and new hive. With lots of new brood emerging, would the loss of the few foragers be a setback?
I would think not...As I said, I would opt for Option 2....Install them, throw a few branches in front the entrance for a few days, and not give it another thought. For the ones that don't catch on, they'll return to the Nuc site, when they find nothing there, they'll start searching and will either find their new home, or end up in one of your two other hives...six to one half dozen of the other, it's all good! :)

I would do it either after sunset, or before sunrise to make sure you have all the bees... Move the Nuc, Can you just sit it atop the new hive, obstruct the entrace, wait a few days, then make the transfer?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do it either after sunset, or before sunrise to make sure you have all the bees... Move the Nuc, Can you just sit it atop the new hive, obstruct the entrace, wait a few days, then make the transfer?
I think that sounds like the best plan. I will set it on top of the empty hive for a couple of days, obstructing the entrance, then move them into the new box. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I moved my nuc into a hive on Saturday and the new hive was 3 feet away. Was a little chaotic for about an hour but they figured it out so at least 3 feet is not a problem. However, I put 6 frames of brood into the bottom med w/ 2 frames of honey and added a deep of drawn comb/nectar on top (from my only dead-out). The other 9 frames (was a 3 box med nuc) were shaken off so there were a lot of bees in the air w/ eventual pheromone/fanning at the entrance of the new hive. That may have helped the returning foragers.

If the space between the hives is open and they are the same height the bees may figure it out. Another option, if you want to do it during the day, is you can move them, then place the old hive back in the original location to collect the returning foragers. Then dump them in the new hive at sunset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts