Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has experiance in moving hives when it is too cold for them to fly, say 30 degrees or less. I bought a package last spring & then caught 3 more wild swarms in the summer. I basically set up the hive where I caught the swarm because some I caught in a nuc hive & tried to move only to have the field bees return to the original spot. I think that I could move them when they are not flying but I am a "rookie" so would like some advise. The moving distance is 20 to 600 ft. Thanks for the help, I have a lot to learn!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You can move them, but just be careful because what you don't want is to break up the cluster. No dropping, knocking or anything else. Take it slow. If it is warmer, like in the 30 or 40's then you can be a little less careful.

good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I moved five hives about Thanksgiving. I brought a Nuc into the garage and it is doing well. It is now outside as temps have gotten a little warmer for a few days here in ohio. Four other hives were moved from my fields, where they were out in the open, to a location up against the house on the east side to protect from wind and have some sun.

Handle very gentle. I had a friend help me lift and carry the hives and we were careful not to jostle or disturb the cluster. I checked today and all five are alive. I fed some candy that I make and noted that the candy I put in at Christmas was almost gone in all the hives. I swear by my bee candy to help them with food stuffs.

Care is the watchword when moving.

Pife

·
Registered
433 Posts
i would wait til march or april once the temp is above freezing 24/7.

it will be easy to have something slip and get the cluster all jacked up. this is not a good time of the year to be messing with your bees.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
We trucked bees @ 13F. Can't say my knees weren't knocking the whole time but had 100 on the trailer and moved em 750 miles with temps ranging from 13 -35F and did not loose a one.

Not breaking the cluster is the key!

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I moved a nuc 40 yards. I hadn't gotten around to doing it when it was warm as I normally move a hive 3 miles away for a week then do a 2nd move to the final destination. It was about 30 degrees and wasn't supposed to get above freezing for the next 2 weeks. I picked the nuc up gently and walked it to it's new location. Afraid many would go back to their original location when things warmed up I checked on them the first day it was above 40 degrees. They (along with my other hives) were out an about. There were no dead bees in the snow at the original location and the bees were coming and going from the new location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts