Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved a weak colony that was being robbed by some stronger hives on either side of it. Last night, around dark, I closed off the entrance, strapped the bottom board and hive body together and put it into the back of my truck. I drove it to another location approximately 6 miles as the crow flies. I unloaded it and placed it on the stand I'd put up in the new location, removed the 2x4 I used to close off the entrance and replaced it with entrance reducer I had on it originally and left it. This was my first move and it went well, or so I thought. This morning I was reading some of the websites that detailed the moving process ( probably should have read them beforehand). It seems I may have made a mistake. Nearly all of the sites recommend stuffing the entrance with grass or placing some object directly in front of the colony to help them orient to the new location. I didn't do that. I can run by there this afternoon, but I fear by then the bees will have flown out foraging....have I doomed these foragers to being lost? Any suggestions would be appreciated if there's something I can do to help them.....

GH

·
Registered
282 Posts
How far did you move it. It also stats that is you move them a couple miles it shouldn't be a big deal. It you move them 30 ft than the grass up front is a must. They really won't have a natural instinct to go back to there old location if there that far away. The reducer will help them know to reorient too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're roughly 6 miles as the crow flies away from the original location. The entrance reducer was already on because of the robbing. I'm not sure it will be any different for them than usual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts