Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've successfully trapped a swarm using a deep nuc as a bait have about 12 feet up in a tree. They have been very busy for about a week and a half. I just covered the entrance this morning. Should I wait a day with it covered and leave them shut in? Or can I simply move the hive to their new location (about 100 yards) and use the "branch method" to force them to reorient themselves?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Should I wait a day with it covered and leave them shut in? Or can I simply move the hive to their new location (about 100 yards) and use the "branch method" to force them to reorient themselves?
I would not shut bees in for longer than you need to to move them. Shutting bees in can cause them to overheat. It obstructs ventilation. Bees will crowd the screening further obstructing ventilation. It stresses the bees, and it doesn't significantly help the bees reorient. Bees don't store water, and they need it. I would use a partial, leafy obstruction of the entrance to help them reorient as you mentioned, and I would not put a bait hive in the original location to further confuse the bees.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts